Save lives. Save money. Treat everyone equally.
Everyone deserves healthcare. Yet, even now as the nation is rocked by a looming second wave of COVID-19, millions of people remain uninsured and underinsured. In Virginia’s 11th District, 10% of our residents are uninsured and many more are underinsured, a number that has risen since many people who’ve lost their jobs used to have employer-based insurance plans. That means people here and across the country are being forced to choose between paying for food or shelter, and getting the care they need. This is unacceptable. By implementing a universal, single-payer healthcare system where everyone can get the care they need, especially so we can prevent illnesses before they become so critical that they require a trip to the emergency room, we can:
- Save 68,000 American lives and $450,000,000 each year
- Save the average small business ~$8,000/year
- Provide coverage for dental, hearing, and vision care
- Lower prescription drug costs
- Reduce racial inequities in care
- Create thousands of new jobs
- Make all care like getting your COVID shot: go anywhere, get care, and it’s free
If you are struggling with substance abuse, here is just one of many possible resources to help you on your journey to recovery.